Museums and Historic Areas Information
Entries are listed alphabetically by city. Please e-mail any changes,
or updates to
Pioneer Village 218-784-4989 or 218-784-2871
from new high school on Hwy 200.
* May -
village features ten historic buildings, as well as a new log
historical museum, containing exhibits and articles from Norman
past. Genealogy information in the museum.
Argyle Museum Depot
218-437-6347 or 218-437-8580
in the summer
Great Northern Depot, log shanty, and old jail. Call 218-437-6621
for tours. Includes all graduating class photos from the
Argyle Public School.
Old Mill State Park
240th Ave. NW
17 mi. NE
of Warren, and 13 miles east of Argyle, or 11 miles west
Newfolden on County Road 4.
* 8 am to
10 pm registered campers only after 10.
Grist Mill and pioneer cabin. See a 1880's grist mill
by a Case #359 steam engine. Interpretive signs and
audio-show. Pioneer cabin furnished with period household items,
traditional garden. Mill is operated Labor Day weekend.
Sand Hill Settlement
Farmstead under construction
Polk County Museum
* May 21
- September 11
to 5:00 pm
Neighborhoods. Closed in winter months, but will open for tours
and appointments. Also, see Crookston's Historic downtown
East Grand Forks
Village preserves and brings to life the history of the Red River
Valley with tours of pioneer buildings and presentations
representing the upper Midwest and the life in the mid to late
1800ís and early 1900's. Call for tour arrangements.
East Polk Co. Heritage Center
of town, next to Hospital.
May - Early September
* 1:30 -
100 year old, ten room house full of historical furnishings,
photographs and memorabilia. Donated in 1986.
Goodridge Historical Sites
Historical buildings preserved and renovated in the downtown area.
Country Store Museum, Pioneer Living History Center, Log Barn and
House, School Museum, Train Depot, and Country Store. Open by
appointments during Summer months.
Pelan Pioneer Park
miles west on Highway 11.
Pioneer Village, wild flower gardens and berries.
Norman County Genealogy Society
Commemorative plaque depicting the former city of Quincy, just
Hendrum. One of the earliest settlements in the area along the
Kittson Co. History Center & Museum
of Lake Bronson
* 9 am
-5pm Wk days, (1-5 pm) Sat/Sun (in summer)
admission, donations welcome
of exhibits about the past ways of life in the county. Many
examples of antique cars and farm equipment. Special events held
Oslo American Legion Museum
the Oslo American Legion Post. #331
Memorial Arena 218-463-2351
the history of hockey for Roseau - the home of NHL, Olympic,
collegiate and high school champions and medalists.
Pioneer Farm and Village
west of Roseau on Hwy. 11.
* May -
* 12 - 5
Roseau Co. Museum & Interpretive Center
Center St. E; Suite 101
in 1927, the museum displays the history of Roseau County
through interpretive exhibits using artifacts, documents,
photographs of the area that tell the story of the county's past and
culture. The research center is a resource for all areas of county,
township, city and individual information. The museum is organized
under the Roseau County Historical Society. The
Historical Society holds an annual meeting in April. Host events
provides educational tours/programs to schools and organizations.
Hours are 9 am to 4 pm Mon. through Fri., Saturdays by appointment.
Norman County Historical Society
historic site features an early school house and many exhibits
articles from Norman county's past.
Red River History Museum 218-886-7335
east of Hwy 75
Old Home Town
from Riverside Golf Club.
Artifacts, exhibits, harness shop display, antique machinery, equipment
and tools. Open Sundays from 1-5 or call for tour appointments
Thief River Falls
Carnegie Public Library 218-681-5767
Carnegie Public Library was dedicated in 1914. In 1968, the library
moved to a new building, but the original location has since
several organizations in the community.
Peder Engelstad Pioneer Village
Oakland Park Road
Memorial Day to Labor Day
1 pm - 5 pm
$5.00, 12 & Under free with Adult
Village has 19 buildings, including a museum, Victorian house,
railroad depots, school house, church, blacksmith shop, machinery
and automobile building and seven log houses.
Soo Line R.R. Depot 218-681-2500
US Hwy 59
on the easterly edge of the Central Business District.
year round, except holidays.
* 8 am to
two-story Flemish brick & limestone, Craftsman-style
combination passenger and freight depot was completed in 1914. It
only first-class architecturally designed Soo Line Railroad
remaining in Minnesota. The Depot was placed on the
Register of Historic Places in 1995. The Depot was restored
and remodeled in 1997 and now functions as City Hall. An
exhibit of historic railroad photographic panels is on permanent
Steam Locomotive No. 1024
Soo Line Railroad Depot- City Hall site.
Locomotive No. 1024, a Mikado class steam engine, was built by
the American Locomotive works, Dunkirk, in 1912 for the Monon
Railroad of Indiana. 1024 and seven other locomotives were sold
by the Monon R.R. to the Soo Line R.R. in 1941 and 1942. It is
the last known steam locomotive of its type in existence that was
operated by the Monon R.R. The Soo Line R.R. donated the
locomotive to the city and it has been on static display at the
Depot site since 1956.
Heritage Museum, Art Gallery &
Tourist Info Center
buildings on Hwy. 32 under Water Tower.
9:30 am - 4:00 pm
Charge, Donations Accepted
Valley Heritage Center is a museum, information center and an
Art Gallery featuring local artist - Gene Lysaker. The Heritage
Center provides you with an opportunity to step back into the past
of the local area with museum artifacts, history and Agassiz
Rec. Trail passes alongside of depot replica.
Settlers Square/Marshall County Museum 218-745-4803
of Johnson Ave., South of the Fairgrounds.
June-August 9am to 5pm; Sept. 9am to 4:30pm
9am to 4:30pm
Historical Village featuring eight store fronts depicting an 1880
Main building houses many pieces of antique farm
machinery. On display, the UFO Sheriff's car of Marshall County.
3 Historical Markers
three Historical Markers within the City Limits.
Warroad Point Park, at end of Lake St. NE. Establishment of Fort
St. NE, just west of 1st Ave. Old "war road" from which the river and
village derived their name (Sioux would invade the territory
by way of the Red and Roseau Rivers. This route ended at the mouth
of the Warroad River.)
3. Lake St. & Hwy. 11. Warroad Fur Post.
Canadian National Depot 218-386-1454
railroad depot opened to the public on July 4, 1985. The oak doors,
window casings and woodwork are restored from the original building, as is the counter at the office building. The public washroom
doors are from the original building. The Depot now serves as
the Warroad City Office center, and is on the National Register of
Fort St. Charles at Northwest Angle 218-386-3543
recreation of the trading post founded by Sieur De LaVerendrye in 1732
as the western most headquarters for early explorers and traders.
St. Mary's Catholic Church
Robert's Ave. NE
all-weather log church which was built as a memorial to Father
Aulneau who traveled and lived with Pierre LaVerendrye. Dedicated
in 1954, the church is constructed of logs, with 70,000
hand-split cedar shakes on the roof which were split, dipped and
stained by the parishioners.
The Gardens Arena
the history of hockey for Warroad - the home of Olympic Champions
Warroad Heritage Center & Museum
Ave. NE, PO Box 688
* M - Sat
(1-5 pm), Sunday (1-4 pm)
and artifacts: Indian artifacts from the Warroad area, the local
commercial fishing industry, the Northwest Angle, early pioneers,
military, the fur trade, Marvin Windows & Doors, Christian
Brothers Hockey Stick factory & Sports. Works by area writers,
genealogies & old photographs with information on the early
lumber industry, mink ranching, boating, transportation and special